Thursday 28 April 2016

FMP Sketches

Sketch of the lion cub peeking out of some foliage. I have a dilemma with this. The author requested realism so that is what I have attempted, but I am wary of too much going on in this young age groups mental development. I used soft pencil on my journal pages and I have been careful to adhere to the age range the book is aimed at

Studies of jungle wildlife at the vivarium in Manchester college helped a great deal although the author specified a European snail with horns for her character. Getting that highly polished shell was a challenge

I used artistic license here to simplify some foliage. I noticed in my studies that jungle flora is well over scaled because of the lush environment, so I really wanted to echo that. I would have liked to do more elaborate backings for my illustrations but sadly was against the clock and choosing A3 paper was a mistake

Trying to understand how a plant takes water to its leaves was important to me with this project. There were so many aspects to the research, eventually I had to stop and just get on with creating some finished illustrations

No comments: